What proof of identity/address can I provide to open my account?

You may not need to send us any documents. We’ll do our best to check your identity using credit reference agencies, but we might ask you to send some documents before we can open your account.

If so, you’ll need to provide one proof of ID and one proof of address from the lists below. These need to be two separate documents – e.g. you can’t use your driving licence for both.

We also accept additional documents for under 18s, or for the opening any student accounts.

Proof of Identity

  • Current valid passport (with English translation)
  • Current full or provisional photocard driving licence (with English translation)
  • EU/EEA Member State Identity Photo-Card or National Identity photocard (Not UK)
  • Shotgun Licence or Firearms Certificate
  • Northern Ireland electoral ID card
  • Instruction from the Court appointing an individual: Court of Protection or Grant of Probate
  • Confirmation of receipt of State Benefits from a Government Agency (including Government issued Pensions)
  • HMRC Tax Notification letter /Assessment letter or Statement of Account

Proof of Address

  • Current UK photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
  • Current old style UK driving licence (full)
  • Notification letter from Benefits agency / other Government agency confirming the right to benefits pension (issued within the last 6 months)
  • HMRC Tax Notification letter / Assessment letter or Statement of Account
  • Letter confirming residency from a Nursing Home/Care Home
  • Local Authority Tax Bill (issued within 6 months or valid for current year)
  • Statement or letter from Bank / Building Society / Credit Card / Mortgage / Life Insurance / Investment indicating that a relationship exists (issued within the last 6 months).
  • Utility Bill (not a mobile phone bill - issued within the last 6 months)
  • Solicitor's letter confirming recent house/land purchase (issued within the last 6 months).
  • Local Authority / Housing Association / Public Letting Agency tenancy agreement Tenancy Agreement or letter
  • TV licence (valid for the current year)
  • Vehicle tax renewal document (issued within the last 6 months)
Was this answer helpful?

Was this answer helpful?