What proof of identity/address can I provide to open my account?
When applying for an account with us we will always attempt to verify your identity electronically first of all. If this is not possible we will then ask you to provide paper proof.
In that case, you would need to provide two documents, one for proof of identity and one for proof of address.
Documents we will accept are as follows:
Proof of Identity (POI)
- Current valid passport (with English translation)
- Current full or provisional photocard driving licence (with English translation)
- EU/EEA Member State Identity Photo-Card or National Identity photocard (Not UK)
- Shotgun Licence or Firearms Certificate
- Northern Ireland electoral ID card
- Instruction from the Court appointing an individual: Court of Protection or Grant of Probate
- Confirmation of receipt of State Benefits from a Government Agency (including Government issued Pensions)
- HMRC Tax Notification letter /Assessment letter or Statement of Account
- Birth certificate (under 18s only)
- National Insurance card (under 18s only)
- NHS Medical card / letter (under 18s only)
- HMRC letter confirming issue of NI card (under 18s only)
- Current child benefit letter (under 18s only)
Proof of Address (POA)
- Current UK photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
- Current old style UK driving licence (full)
- Notification letter from Benefits agency / other Government agency confirming the right to benefits pension (issued within the last 6 months)
- HMRC Tax Notification letter / Assessment letter or Statement of Account
- Letter confirming residency from a Nursing Home/Care Home
- Local Authority Tax Bill (issued within 6 months or valid for current year)
- Statement or letter from Bank / Building Society / Credit Card / Mortgage / Life Insurance / Investment indicating that a relationship exists (issued within the last 6 months).
- Utility Bill (not a mobile phone bill - issued within the last 6 months)
- Solicitor's letter confirming recent house/land purchase (issued within the last 6 months).
- Local Authority / Housing Association / Public Letting Agency tenancy agreement Tenancy Agreement or letter
- TV licence (valid for the current year)
- Vehicle tax renewal document (issued within the last 6 months)
- NHS Medical card letter (under 18s only)
- Child benefit letter (under 18s only)
- Student loan letter or statement (confirming home address) (under 18s only)
- Professional reference from a person in a position of responsibility (under 18s only)
- HMRC letter confirming issue of National Insurance card (under 18s only)
One document cannot be used to fulfil both POI and POA requirements. For example, a driving licence appears on both POI and POA lists, however this single proof cannot satisfy both POI and POA requirements
If you are unable to provide one proof of identity and one proof of address based on the above list, please call into a local branch or contact us and one of our advisers will be able to discuss with you any other proofs we can accept to open your account.
Applying for a Student account?
In addition to the above, you will also be required to supply evidence of your course and funding.